Monday, March 8, 2010

7. Following the discussion of consumption, take the Ecological Footprint quiz. Go to -- http://www.myfootprint.org/ -- and find out how many earths

http://www.myfootprint.org/en/quiz_results/

I was quite stunned when the Ecological Footprint quiz told me that it would take five planet Earths if everyone lived as I lived. I really didn’t think that my lifestyle required too much work. When I think about it though, I realize that if they are taking into consideration everyone on the planet, there are so many people that live strictly form the land. Whole communities live off the land and work care to tae care of it.

Though I have dreamed of it before, my lifestyle is not one of a farm life. I think it is romantic to think of a life of working hard in the fields and living off the land. That is just not possible where I am today. I do realize that I have an opportunity to utilize things around me here. My family has composted for many many years, and though I don’t have a back yard I know they have created apartment composts. I also have access to a little bit of land outside my door, at my apartment building. Though it is not ideal for a whole garden, I do have a few potted plans there and could do a better job of growing things that are nourishing.

I do try to recycle as much as I can, but I know I could do more. Something important would be to try harder to cut back on what I consume in the first place. I mean, the packaging specifically. I bring my own bags to the grocery store, but paying attention and buying things that have less packaging, or even farmers markets that use practically no packaging would a great thing to work on.

It may not seem like much, but I know there are many ways that I could cut back on my ecological footprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment