Tuesday, March 23, 2010

13. Reflect on the field trip to Downtown Fort Myers. Define the changes to the social and economic role of downtown over time. How has the use of

13. Reflect on the field trip to Downtown Fort Myers. Define the changes to the social and
economic role of downtown over time. How has the use of the river changed through time, if
any?


Even though I have grown up in Fort Myers, I still enjoyed our field trip downtown. I always enjoy downtowns, no matter where they are. The mixture of old and new, historical and modern, I always am awed by it all.


Though I knew a lot of the history, I was not aware of some of the things. I am glad the city has places many monuments to remind us and inform others. Though I should have know, I didn't realize we had so much of a connection to the war. I also could not imagine having to travel to Key West to handle my court issues.

The river has obviously been an important part of downtown. Though not all, most major cities are built up around water. When we did not have cars, the water was the best way to travel. The demand has dropped, but the water is still a vital part of our economy. It is mostly now for pleasure, not so much for triad.
It is obvious the in impute of malls and such have detracted from our downtown. The city is trying to build it back up and have entertainment and events to bring people back down. I am sure we all have our own ideas as to what would make it more popular. Though I like it semi quiet, I knoq it is the bustle of people that makes downtown the valuable source that it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment