Wednesday, January 20, 2010

3. Reflect upon the concept of sustainability as it relates to a) your career or academic major; b) your personal lifestyle; and c) university educati

Sustainability… oh goodness. What a big word. I think at first we think so many things are “sustainable,” or at least we want them to be. Tress that have stood tall for generations, through storms and such. Buildings that have become “historical” by withstanding natural decay. But, when you think about it, everything changes…in some way… in some form, so does that really make it “sustainable”?
I’m currently an education major. Now, we have had teachers for ... well, forever, and we will need them forever, so you could say that this is a very sustainable career. Yet, people that got laid off last year due to budget cuts, or have yet to be hired due to hiring freezes would probably disagree.
For the last five years I held a job as a registrar for a summer mission camp. I actually created this position when the ministry started growing and needed someone to help manage it. I would say that I had good job security. I moved with the company when they relocated their offices from South Florida to North Georgia and it looked like I would be there for a long time. I think of myself as a very loyal employee. I recently left said job on really good terms to go back to school. Does that make me “unsustainable” just because I changed my lifestyle? Am I any less reliable? (I don’t think so)
Many people complain that they are not in the field in which they received an education for. U for a very long time was not perusing a degree because it was not necessary at the time. People would argue that an University Education in these days are a lot less sustainable then they were in the past. More and more people are receiving them, making the job market harder and harder. Yet, a degree, in any field is still held very high. My best friend, who received a BSW holds a higher job title then many on her floor yet she is by far the youngest, due to that degree.

For something to really fit into the category of “sustainability”, we would have to keep the parameters pretty flexible. Is that the point though? For something to be “sustainable” it has to be able to adapt and meet the needs of the current time, or else…. It won’t sustain.

No comments:

Post a Comment